1. Potatoes -- 2 or 3
2. Chopped Onions -- 3/4th cup
3. Green chilli -- 3 (chopped finely)
4. Ginger & Garlic(finely chopped) -- 1/2 tsp. each
5. Cilantro leaves -- 1/2 cup (chopped)
6. Gram Flour(Besan) -- 1 1/2 cups (Add 2 tbsp. rice flour also, if desired)
7. Cayenne Pepper(Red chilli Powder) -- 1 tsp.
8. Baking Soda -- 1/4th tsp.
9. Salt to taste
10. Mustard seeds and jeera -- 1/2 tsp. each
11. Oil for deep frying
12. Turmeric powder -- 1/4th tsp.
13. Lemon juice -- 2 tbsps.
1. Boil the potato. Cool. Peel the skin and chop into small chunks.
2. Heat about two tablespoons of oil. Add mustard seeds and when the seeds start to
crackle, add the jeera, green chilli, salt, ginger and garlic. Fry for a few seconds and
add onions and turmeric powder. When the onions start to turn brown add lemon juice and
the potatoes. Mix well and turn off the heat. Let this mixture cool. Shape into small
3. Make a thick batter with Besan, riceflour, salt, red chilli powder, baking soda and
4. Heat the oil for 10 to 15 minutes on medium heat. When the oil is hot, Dip the potato
balls into the batter and carefully drop in the oil. Turn it every four minutes and remove
from oil when it turns golden brown.
5. Serve with chutney or by itself.