Ingredients: ( To serve-- 5-7)
1. Uncooked Kidney beans -- 2 1/2 cups (soaked overnight)
2. Chopped Onions -- 1 cup
3. Ginger -- 10 gms
4. Chopped Tomato -- 2 1/2 cups (or 1 small can of tomato paste)
5. Garlic --6 cloves
6. Vegetable oil -- 1/2 cup
7. Whole Dry Red Chillies -- 3
8. Red chilli Powder (cayenne pepper) -- 1 tbsp.
9. Garam masala -- 1 tsp. of each
10. Salt to taste
11. Water -- 4 1/2 cups
1. Grind ginger and garlic into a paste.
2. Heat oil in a cooker for about 3 minutes. Add
chillies. Stir for a few seconds. Add onions & fry until it is golden brown. Add
ginger-garlic paste. Stir. Add tomatoes, chilli powder and salt. Cook till tomatoes are
pulpy and oil shows separately(approx. 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add beans and
3. Close the cooker . Bring to full pressure on high heat. Reduce heat and cook for 10
4. Remove cooker from heat. Allow to cool naturally.
5. Open cooker. Partially mash beans with back of a ladle till gravy is creamy. Add garam
masala powder. Stir. Serve hot.
Note: If you don't have a cooker, you could
still cook this dish in a pot. You would have to cook it for a long time stirring in
between. Cook it until you can feel the beans to have softened (or cooked).