Bisi Bele Bhath
Ingredients:(To Serve -- 6)
1. Uncooked Rice -- 1 and 1/2 cups (For every cup of rice add 4 cups of water)
2. Toor Dal -- 1 and 1/2 cups
3. Beans, Carrot, Potato, Bell Pepper (chopped) -- 1/2 cup each
4. Shelled peas -- 1/3 cup
5. Onions (Cut lengthwise) -- 1/3 cup
6. Tamarind Paste -- 1 and 1/2 tbsp
7. Salt to taste
8. Sambar Powder -- 4 to 5 tbsp ( depends on how spicy you want the rice to be)
9. Oil -- 1/3 cup
10. For Vagarne -- 2 Red Chilli, Mustard Seeds, Cashew halves & Curry Leaves.
1. Wash the toor dal and rice. Wash all the vegetables and chop them.
2. Cook the dal, rice, sambar powder , vegetables, salt, water and oil in a cooker. Allow the cooker to whistle thrice.
3. Make vagarne with the above said ingredients and add onions. Fry for a while. Add it to the cooked rice. Serve hot coz the word "Bisi" means hot !
Note: Vagarne: This is a process where in you heat a little oil and add mustard seeds to it. When the mustard starts to crackle, add the other ingredients for vagarne and fry.
If you don't have a cooker you can make bisi bele bhath in a covered pan. If more water is required you can add it. Bisi bele bhath should have a flowing consistency. Sometimes if you cook the vegetables with the rice it becomes too soft. To avoid that, you can cook the vegetables separately and add it to the rice at the very end.