Masala Dosa (Or Plain Dosa)
Ingredients: (To Make : 12 to 18)
1. Rice -- 4 cups (If possible, add 1cup para boiled rice)
2. Urad dal -- 1 Cup
3. Methi Seeds, Chana Dal, Powa -- 1 and 1/2 tbsp each
4. Salt to taste -- approx 2 tbsp
1. Soak in water for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Wash and grind little by little until a smooth paste is obtained.
3. Keep outside until it ferments (overnight) . Keep in oven in winter.
4. Heat a skillet (tava). Spread a tsp of oil and pour about a cup of dosa batter using a rounded spoon. When it becomes brown, flip it over.
Note: Dosa looks like a pancake and is made similarly. Masala dosa can be made by filling the dosa with potato palya (recipe is below). Serve dosa with chutney and butter. It will be easier to make dosa if you have eaten it earlier or atleast if you know how it looks.
To make Potato Palya: Boil 3 potatoes. Take a tbsp of oil in a pan and heat it. Now, add chopped onions (1 cup) , chopped green chilli (2 to 3) and shredded ginger (1/2 tsp). Fry until the onions start turning brown. Now add turmeric powder(1/2 tsp), salt and a spoon of lemon juice. Finally, add peeled and roughly chopped boiled potato and mix well.