Ingredients: (To serve : 5)
1. Butter Milk -- 2 cups
2. Toor Daal & Chana Daal -- 2 tbsps.
3. Coconut Gratings -- 1 cup (Preferably Fresh Coconut)
4. Green Chilli --4 (or you can use Dry Red Chilli)
5. Ginger -- 1/2 inch piece
6. Hing -- 1/4 tsp. (optional)
7. Salt to taste ( approx 1 tbsp)
8. Cilantro (Coriander leaves) -- 1 cup
9. Jeera(Cumin seeds) & Coriander seeds -- 1 tbsp
10. Turmeric Powder -- 1/4 tsp. (optional)
11. Mustard Seeds, Methi seeds (Optional) -- 1 tsp
12. Vegetable -- 1 1/2 cups (See Note)
1. Soak Toor daal and Chana Daal in little water for 1/2 an hour.
2. Grind ingredients 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10 with little water.
3. Heat a tbsp of oil in a pot and add mustard seeds to it. When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add the methi seeds if using. Now add the vegetables with little water and cook until the vegetable is cooked. Now add the ground paste and mix well.
4.Slowly add the butter milk, a ladleful at a time, and mix well. Lower the heat to medium. When the majgehuli starts to boil, turn off the heat. Don't cook for long after you add the buttermilk. Majgehuli should have soup like consistency.
Note: You can use any vegetable. Here are a few examples (Use only one of the below)
Cucumber -- Peel and deseed the cucumber. Chop into small cubes.
Spinach -- Chop the spinach and cook as said in the recipe.
Bell Pepper -- Chop into small pieces and cook as said in the recipe.
Okra -- Chop into small pieces and fry in oil until it is brown. Now add the ground paste and follow from step 4.