Ingredients: (To serve : 5)
1. Toor Daal -- 1 1/2 cups
2. Mustard seeds -- 1 tsp
3. Frozen Whole Onions (small onions) -- 1 Packet
4. Sambaar Powder -- 3 tbsps. (add more or less depending on how spicy you want it)
5. Tamarind paste -- 1 tsp.
6. Hing -- 1/4 tsp. (optional)
7. Salt to taste ( approx 1 tbsp)
8. Cilantro (Coriander leaves) -- 1 cup
1. Cook the toor daal with water in a cooker or in a crock pot until it is soft(or cooked).
2. In another pot, heat a tbsp of oil and add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle, add hing and the onions. Be careful while adding the onions. Let the onions cook for 5 minutes in little water.
3. Now, add the toor daal. Mix well with a ladle. In a glass, mix the sambaar powder, salt and the tamarind paste with a ladle of the hot toor daal. Now, pour it into the pot and mix well so that no lumps are formed. Add cilantro and let it come to a boil. Let it boil for 4 minutes before turning off the heat.
4. Serve with plain rice, idli, wada or dosa.
Note: You can substitute any vegetable in place of the onions. For example: eggplant, cabbage, beans or spinach. Try to buy MTR's Sambaar Powder at any Indian stores.